26 December 2009

Adventure of the Year

So, the New Year approaches. And with it may come a drastic change in scenery. For those who haven't heard the full story (and since there's only two people following this blog at the moment, it may seem somewhat redundant to say anything) there's a company in Atikokan, two hours west of Thunder Bay, called RDF Canada (information on the company can be found here) that's got an open and available spot for an electrical apprenticeship. And it's available to one person: me. Mark it on your calendar. This is the first time in my long and...storied history that there's been a fully secure position in a multi-million dollar company being offered to me, and me alone.

And if any of you know me as well as I certainly believe you do, then you will know there is nothing in my life that is that cut, dry, and utterly simplistic. It just doesn't happen. So, here it is: it may not even happen. Now, here's the reason why: the person running the company will only take me as a package deal. He's creating the opening of aforementioned apprentice if and only if he gets the the one person he's wanted on the project from the very start: Tesla. (No, not Nikola Tesla - once again, my rule regarding names and pseudonyms online is absolute.) Now, Tesla's about as gung-ho on this as I've ever seen him on anything, which is to say he's excited as a rock in Death Valley.

So, the company's owner wants Tesla to send exact wage expectations for both him and myself to the company's accountant. And for some damn reason, it's the accountant that has to clear it. I suppose it makes sense; the accountant's the one that knows exactly how much the company has to spare. So, until the accountant gives the word, nothing can happen. (And to think, I've spent the last couple of days packing up my room in case we get an order to move out.)

Of course, the next issue to deal with housing. Atikokan has a population of around 1,200. It's far too small for a start-up bunk at the local Salvation Army hostel, as it's too small to have a Salvation Army. That wouldn't even be an option as Tesla hasn't done hostels since he backpacked through Australia, ten years before I was even born. So, with the wage expectations, an allowance for housing must also be included, for both of us. The company's owner is going to get us shortlisted as best as possible for a two bedroom apartment in the area (at a total cost of $400 per month - beats Toronto's costs for rent hands down, I'd say) to give us a safe harbour. Atikokan's about to get a massive influx of population for this one company alone. So, the sooner we can get up there and get keys in or hand, the better chance we have to have a place at all. There's contingencies in place, but they're not as permanent as I'd like. Yeah, story of my life: stopgaps galore.

But there's one more cloud blotting out the horizon. It's not just costs of living that will have to be covered by our combined wages. If we get the green light to jump, Tesla and me are going to be driving up, a distance of just under 1,500 kilometres. He wants his trusty, well-used VW Jetta up there with him, rust spots and all. So there's maintenance, insurance, and gas for the car. That I have no issue with. What I have a problem with is Barbatos, who has made it apparent that she expects $800 a week from Tesla, with no intentions on her part to have her son chip in from his wages, something he hasn't done anyway, in the nearly three years he's lived here.

I would almost argue once again that Tesla should simply have a lawyer draw up papers for divorce, but I understand the reasons he won't. Such an action could end up much worse for him. Barbatos refuses to work. Tesla would be forced to pay alimony, to keep her 'standard of living' intact. It's a policy governing divorce I've never agreed with. I once labelled her as a gold-digger, from descriptions given to me by Tesla, long before I met her. I'm sure you all now understand why I still find that to be fitting.

(Remember in a previous entry I said these journals would most likely end being bitch sessions?)

But through all the obstacles and turbulence that loom on the horizon, there is one advantage that nearly ensures all other situations will be overcome. Those reading this should remember one thing above all others: I always manage to find my feet, regardless what the situation is. Anyone reading this may feel worry and concern for what could begin to happen in the next few weeks (or less, perhaps) but, for those who know the story, I need only mention one town: Elliot Lake.

1 comment:

  1. I know you'll be fine - just like you know I'll worry anyway.

    ReplyDelete