22 February 2010

The Work-A-Day World, Part V

Okay, to start things off, I am going to change the scheduling (as best as I can) of my entries. As of now, all entries will be put in on Monday of each week. The reason: Mondays are always interesting. Reader be warned...

So the day started off as they usually do, calm and quiet, with me and Tesla deciding what we're going to tackle. Today we went hell-bent on some random cabling for a priority system within the plant that will be used beyond the decommissioning. Unfortunately, the point of this system closest to the ground is still twelve feet above the concrete - totalling to 98% of it comfortably residing at ceiling level, about forty feet from the ground. Eek.

So I spent most of the day with the cross-beams of the ceiling at eye level, following two cables half the length of the main building. I was starting to get used to it, though. That is, until I started feeling something very warm on my back at one point. Instinctively, I turn around - and promptly get blinded by a 1000-watt metal halide bulb. Fun times, aren't they?

Anyway, the rest of the day passed without incident. Rather, I should say that most of the day passed without incident. The plant was getting quiet, everyone was gearing up for the migration out the door. I grab on the controls of the lift I was using since 07:30, and begin to lower myself down to ground level and safety.

Now, these lifts are powered by propane. And, of course, the tank ran empty with me twenty feet from the ground. For the second time in five weeks, I was stranded with my feet off the ground. Thankfully, there was just enough fumes in it to power back up (twice) and get me within jumping distance before it gave up the ghost. So in the end, all's well that ends well.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm grabbing a keg of beer to calm my battered nerves.

No comments:

Post a Comment